Welcome to the Wisconsin Center District, owners and operators of the Wisconsin Center, UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena, and Miller High Life Theatre. The WCD is redefining the way venues provide superb, captivating and buzzworthy experiences. Thanks to the best employees in the business, we’re proud to play a role in transforming our beloved Milwaukee into a not-to-be-missed destination. We’re looking for unconventional thinkers, relentless passion, and uncompromising personalities to craft one-of-a-kind moments.
Reporting directly to the Chief Carpenter, the Journeyman Carpenter performs daily activities regarding carpentry tasks for the Wisconsin Center District’s campus. The Journeyman Carpenter works directly with building services staff to ensure the daily maintenance of the facility and operating standards are attained. This position requires contact with contractors, WCD staff, and other professionals with regard to special projects within the campus.
- Performs construction, modification and repair of the building’s floors, walls, partitions, doors, windows, cabinets, woodwork, tables, chairs, stages, platforms, ceilings, dance floor, tile, etc.
- Maintains elements of the building that include but not limited to: doors, hinges, handles, closers, drywall, ceilings, glazing, insulation, signs, carpet, flooring, concrete, exterior skins of the building, cabinetry, benches, desks, partitions for facility, event and food service needs as necessary
- Performs locksmith services as required to service event, security, and building needs. Includes maintaining accurate and detailed records of keys, cutting new keys, changing cores
- Performs lay-out work and bench work required for new construction, including customer requests when possible
- Performs visual inspections of building and notifies the appropriate personnel of repairs needed as well as repair completion and project status updates on large scope assignments
- Studies blueprints, sketches or builds plans for information pertaining to materials required, such as lumber or fiberboard, and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricat
- Erect and use scaffolding and ladders for assembling or repairing structure above ground level
- Operates mechanized equipment and lifts when required
What does it take to succeed in this role? We’re looking for a talented individual with the knowledge of basic construction carpentry, repairs, and maintenance. You should also have:
- Ability to safely operate a forklift, scissors, and high reach lifts
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent work experience
- Be at least 21 years of age with a valid driver’s license and driving record within MVR policy guidelines
- 2 years of experience in general carpentry installation and repair of doors, millwork, and related building systems
- 1 year certificate from trade or technical school, preferred
WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER
- Health Benefits – Medical, Dental, and $50K in Company-Paid Life are just the start! We also offer a generous health reimbursement & EAP.
- Free Event Tickets – Exclusive access to free tickets to events for you and your family in any of our buildings, as supply allows (Go Admirals)!
- Pension Benefits – The WCD participates in the Employes’ Retirement System (ERS) of the City of Milwaukee. Hello worry-free retirement!
- Paid Vacation & Sick Leave – Kick back with our generous vacation and sick time offerings. Flexibility to refresh, relax, rest, and recharge.
READY TO APPLY?
*Download and save the job application PDF, and then open it to complete it in Acrobat. This will allow you to submit it easily, and also save a copy for your records.
If you need to, you can download Adobe Acrobat here
ONE MORE FYI
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
- We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, martial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
- Pre-employment testing includes drug screening, a criminal background check, and a physical exam. Applicants must be United States citizens or legal residents of the United States. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Wisconsin Center District Proudly Operates a Smoke and Tobacco-Free Campus.
Deadline to apply: Friday, February 14, 2020 @ 4:00 p.m. CST